What is an arborist?
Let’s start with the definition first: Arborists are individuals trained in the science of caring for and maintaining trees. Qualified arborists should be certified by the International Society of Arboriculture.
Why should I hire one?
Trees are alive, just like us, and provide natural harmony in an urban environment. They require investment and care to provide the tree a long, useful life. Just a few benefits of healthy trees include:
Purifying Water Trees filter rain water and protect watersheds and aquifers.
Air Filtration We need to breathe right? Not to mention trees help absorb harmful gases to humans by its filtering capabilities.
Climate Control Trees can moderate affects of sun, wind, and rain.
Increase Property Value 5-20% actually…..well cared for landscapes with healthy, mature trees are more valuable than those non landscaped properties.
Cost Savings Trees reduce yearly heating and cooling costs by 2 billion dollars a year across the globe.
The answer should be clear! Trees have a valuable impact!
How do I hire the right arborist?
When hiring any vendor, assess their credentials and experience. Here’s what we mean:
- Check for memberships in professional organizations.
- Check for certifications in the respective field. As mentioned before, an arborist should be ISA certified.
- Ask for proof of insurance. Arborists must have personal & property damage coverage, along with workmen’s comp.
- Does your vendor have the correct permits and business licenses to perform work on your property?
- Ask for references!
- Get more than one estimate. You may have to pay some arborists for estimates, but it will be worth the investment.
- Get it IN WRITING. Does estimate include when work will start/finish? Payment terms? Who’s responsible for clean-up?
- And last, be wary of door-to-door tree service providers. Reputable arborists are too busy to use this sales tactic.